Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Word From Our Air Jam Chair

Sitting in Emens Auditorium surrounded by crazy college kids screaming for their favorite groups, the light show and amazing performances really made Air Jam a spectacular event to attend my sophomore year in the fall of 2011. I had so much fun cheering on groups with my friends and all the performances were amazing! I remember leaving and thinking, I have to be a part of this somehow next year.
Since I knew my dancing skills were not up to par, I decided to see how else I could get involved. After searching around I found out that Ball State has a Homecoming Steering Committee made up of students from all sorts of majors who plan all the events related to homecoming. I applied that spring and made the committee as the Publicity Chairman. Although I was nervous about the position and the responsibilities to come, I was so excited and honored to make the committee!
Homecoming planning starts in February and lasts until the second homecoming week is over. I thoroughly enjoyed my first year on the committee as the publicity chair. I had a blast doing the job and even though it was a lot of work. I don't think I've ever had a better real world experience related to my major. I got to design the logo, all promotional items, create the media guide, build relationships with local media and set up interviews for other members of the committee with the media.
After having such a wonderful year on the committee as a junior, I knew I was going to apply again as a senior. Back in February, I found out that I was selected as the Air Jam Chair. I was ecstatic to say the least. I really wanted this position when I applied and was so happy to be the chair! 
I can't tell you the amount of times I day dream about the show on a weekly basis. It was surreal to be introduced as a committee on stage in front of 3,000 audience members last year, and I can't imagine what it's going to feel like to be the chair of the event that night.
When I tell people about my involvement with the steering committee, a lot of people ask me why I like planning the events instead of going to them. Yes, sometimes being on the committee is stressful, involves a lot of my time, getting up early and staying up late on top of everything else I am involved in at Ball State, but the reward and experience is absolutely priceless. Through the committee, you meet so many students across campus, alumni, faculty and staff that will provide great connections in the future. You will make the greatest friends from the committee, get real world work experience and some Ball State Homecoming swag along the way. Watching all the hard work you put into an event come to life and be a great success is the most wonderful feeling. And there is nothing more that I look forward to during homecoming week than that feeling.



No comments:

Post a Comment